Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Oooh that Naughty Boy!

Monday morning I went in for a regular checkup and the doctor went to listen to Charlie's heartbeat with the doppler. I pointed out where he was hanging out at the time and she found his heartbeat almost immediately. But before she could count 3 beats, he kicked the wand and moved to the other side of my belly. She found his again, raised her wrist to check her watch, and Boom! he kicked and moved again. It took seven tries for her to get a nearly 10 second count of his heartbeat! Apparently he had some important business going on and did not want to be disturbed.

That night we had our first birthing class. It's not really a comprehensive class, so I'm not expecting a lot out of it. We did both learn a thing or two which makes it worth our time.

First, each woman had to draw a picture of her pregnant self and husbands had to draw their wives. Then we shared our drawings with the class as a way of introducing ourselves. I drew a stick figure. I'm pretty sure I was the only one there that said, "I really love being pregnant." Now, maybe this is because I have the latest due date in the class- I don't know- but Ted and I have agreed that I'm just going to keep on being my fat happy self for as long as I can. This is not to say that I have had a perfect pregnancy. But even on the days when I have sciatica, nosebleeds, swollen feet, bleeding nose and gums and acid reflux I still feel great!

The second part of the class, the nurse divided us into boy/girl groups. The guys had to make a list of how they feel (Ted said "hungry") and how we are acting. The women had to make a list of all the symptoms and side effects of pregnancy so that the men could see "why they are acting schizophrenic."

Then we did some exercises and went home. Oh and there was a video of a lot of very young people with really bad haircuts.

The hardwood floors will be finished today. They are so beautiful! Sometimes I just stand at the edge of room and admire them. The crib and bedding should be here within a week. My goal is to complete the major parts of the nursery by the middle of February so that guests can check it out.

P.S. I did get a 'script for Prevacid for the reflux. One day of taking it and I am already feeling so much better!

No comments: