Friday, November 23, 2007

Adventures in Black Friday Shopping

It's about 8:30 now, and if it weren't for a turkey in the oven I would have been in bed an hour ago. Today was my first, fairly successful, attempt at early bird shopping on Black Friday. Here's how it went:

2:35- wake up 10 minutes before alarm goes off
3:00- leave house for shopping center (Order of store locations BabiesRUs, Target, Pier 1, Linens N Things, Kohl's, Old Navy)
3:20- arrive to find parking lot, find Target end almost empty. Park and watch a hooligan relieve himself on Target.
3:35- work up the nerve to brave the cold wind and join the crowd gathering in front of Kohl's.
4:00- doors open. Quick sweep for specific items, then a little meandering time for not-so-hot items.
4:20- begin looking for end of the register line
4:27- find end of line.
5:11- complete transaction and leave. Browse LNT and head to the car for breakfast, reading, and a break from the cold. Watch Target line get longer and longer.
5:50- crowd begins to rumble as people apparently try to "cut the line." Police and security calm it down. I gladly watch from the comfort of my front seat.
6:10- join the Target line now that it is short. Mad dash for electronics department for cheap dvds. Casually find the other items on my list.
7:11- pay and head out to car. All in-store shopping complete!
7:25- stop by grocery store. It's deathly quiet. Enjoy the calm for a few minutes.
7:30- stop by to visit mom for a few minutes.
8:30- arrive home. Fall asleep.

Around 2:30 I had to head back out to run a few errands. Started preparing food for tomorrow- yes, we're a little behind on the whole holiday thing. My first all-by-myself turkey is about ready to come out of the oven now. Soup is ready to heat.

Only a few minutes ago, I realized that I had been double charged for two items at Target. Fearing it would be a hassel to get credit back because I can't prove I only got one of each item, I call the store. Customer service girls says to just come in with a receipt and I'll get my money back. Sweet! I think I'll wait til tomorrow to go back, though. Even with the nap, today took its toll on me.

Will I do it again? As long as Ted watches the baby :)

No comments: